The Cook County medical examiner’s office on Saturday officially released information on the identities of the six people found killed inside a Gage Park home this week.

The six family members were found dead a little after 1 p.m. Thursday when police were called to a home in the 5700 block of South California Avenue because a man who lived there had not shown up for work.

Those killed were identified as Rosaura Martinez, 58, who family members have said went by Rosaura Hernandez; her husband, Noe Martinez Sr., 62; their son Noe Martinez Jr., 38; their daughter Maria Herminia Martinez, 32; and children identifed by family as her two sons, Leonardo Cruz, 13, and Alexis Cruz, 10.

The medical examiner’s office had released information on the causes of death Friday but not released the identities officially, saying in a release that “in all homicides, official identification must be done visually by next-of-kin or by scientific means, for example using fingerprint matches.”

Martinez Sr. and the children died from “multiple sharp-force injuries,” according to the the medical examiner’s office release Friday. His wife died from “multiple sharp- and blunt-force injuries,” while their son died from “multiple blunt- and multiple sharp-force injuries,” according to the office. Their daughter died from “multiple gunshot wounds.”

Police had said Thursday that they could not rule out the possibility that one of those found dead may have committed suicide, but the medical examiner’s office ruled all of the deaths homicides.

Family's dog Pelusa seems 'petrified' after Gage Park slayings

Family’s dog Pelusa seems ‘petrified’ after Gage Park slayings

After hearing her six neighbors were likely slain in their Gage Park neighborhood home, Markita Williams thought their dog was probably dead as well.

But when an officer came out with a visibly shaking Pelusa in his arms, Williams said she felt a great sense of relief. 

“Pelusa always barked and…

After hearing her six neighbors were likely slain in their Gage Park neighborhood home, Markita Williams thought their dog was probably dead as well.

But when an officer came out with a visibly shaking Pelusa in his arms, Williams said she felt a great sense of relief. 

“Pelusa always barked and…

(Deanese Williams-Harris)

Earlier on Friday, Chief of Detectives Eugene Roy said at a news conference that there was no sign of gunfire in the home. Roy said the doors were locked, there was no sign of forced entry and the home was not ransacked.

He said the six were killed between late Tuesday afternoon and Thursday morning. Asked about a motive, Roy said it was too early in the investigation to say. He would also not comment on whether police had any suspects in mind.

Police are not ruling out any possible scenario at this point, Roy added.

“Everything from a domestic incident, possible robbery or even possibly something nefarious that could have targeted the family is being explored,” said Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi in an email Saturday morning.

However, “We don’t believe there are any threats to the community based on the physical state of scene and lack of intelligence to support that this was a random incident,” Guglielmi said in the email.


Escalante: 6 dead bodies inside residence, signs of trauma

Caption Escalante: 6 dead bodies inside residence, signs of trauma

“We want to be very careful and very thorough,” said interim police Superintendent John Escalante during a news conference near the crime scene Feb. 4, 2016. (WGN-TV)

“We want to be very careful and very thorough,” said interim police Superintendent John Escalante during a news conference near the crime scene Feb. 4, 2016. (WGN-TV)

“Also, at thia point in the investigation detectives are working very hard to do thorough background on our victims and try to identify a potential conflict that could have caused this unspeakable tragedy.”

The bodies of the family members were found about 1 p.m. Thursday after police were asked by a co-worker of one of the residents to check on him because he had not shown up the last few days. Police were told it was “out of character” for him.

The family of the victims has set up a GoFundMe page to raise money to cover funeral expenses. So far, they’ve raised nearly $23,000 – more than double the page’s $11,000 goal. 

“This has shocked and left their family, relatives and loved ones speechless and heartbroken as the household was nothing but a loving and gentle family that was always quiet,” the family says on the website. “In the time of need the family asks for help in both prayers and donations to help send the bodies back to Mexico, where they would’ve wished to be buried.

“The donations given will help send the bodies to Mexico and help with the funerals and burying ceremonies of all six members,” it adds. “God bless everyone, every little bit helps and is appreciated greatly.”

In a statement, the Mexican consulate in Chicago said all four adults will be transferred to Guanajuato, in central Mexico, and the two children will go to Morelos, a little further south. The consulate is helping make arrangements.

Article source: http://chicagotribune.feedsportal.com/c/34253/f/622809/s/4d692777/sc/13/l/0L0Schicagotribune0N0Cct0Egage0Epark0Eslayings0Eofficial0Eidentification0E20A160A20A60Estory0Bhtml/story01.htm